The Salty Dog update.

So I apologize for the lack of story telling about the Salty dog this season, but my reality with her has been a struggle to say the least.

I know through experience that when buying an old boat, to expect some issues with her, but this one has been one thing after the other lol. It’s going to be ok soon I can feel it and there will be a light at the end of this tunnel however it will take just a bit more blood sweat and tears to get there lol.

After the Inaugural voyage back on May the 19th, if you recall I had struggled to get this old Salty Dog started and running to be able to get her in the water and able to get her over to the marina where she has sat ever since. I have been struggling to get the boat running properly.

Now July the 11, and after just about 2 months of tinkering with the Salty Dog I have come to the decision that unfortunately the motor she had come with is unsalvageable and I am no longer going to spend any more money on this existing engine.

First just to give a brief history on what is going on is this. During the Inaugural voyage it was clear to me that there was some sort of mechanical issues happening with the boat. She was way underpowered at the time it took a long time for us to get her up on plane. She seemed to cruise at low speed ok, however, when I needed the pick up and go she sputtered and just didn’t seem to have enough power to get up on plane.

So once I got her to the marina, approx 25 miles, I seeked out a mobile mechanic to come do some testing. Well once we started into the testing of the engine things seemed to just snowball out of control.

It seemed at every turn there was a new problem. At first I thought this mechanic was just trying to upsale me and make some extra money but I sat there and watched him and it just seemed that everything he was telling me just made sense

It started as soon as he opened up the engine room hatch lol I mean it looked like a disaster to be honest, a mess of wires ran in every direction and in every color of the rainbow. It took so much time just trying to figure out what wire was for what. So of course the wires all had to be changed , this was just the tip of the avalanche, so to date, I have had the following fixed in order to try and attempt getting this old girl to run smoothly.

– All the wires to every electrical item onboard has been replaced with their proper respected gauge wire and fuses, – new master power switch, – new bilge pump with auto float and wired correctly, – batteries wired correctly (if you saw them prior you would understand lol, -new engine ground wire – carb clean, – new starting coil, – new (to me) electronic distributer,- new distributer cables. – new distributer cap – properly adjust the timing of the engine, -new spark plugs, – all new wiring has been properly and neatly installed and stowed, – modified the alternators mounting bracket so we could properly tighten the belt. – and fixed the small water leak we had from day 1.

I have had the marine mechanic here on 7 separate occasions trying everything ha can to make this motor run properly and with no avail, so my decision now is, to scrap the engine.

This was a very hard decision to make after I had just spent the time effort and money to find out that the compression is shot in 2 of my 8 cylinders. I mean it should have been one of the first things I checked when I made the decision to buy this boat in the first place. So because of bad decission making on my part and not having the boat checked over I have decided that the Old Salty Dog and I are going to get through this together and we will be sure to make some great memmories in the future (together.)

I have purchased another motor to take its place, and on July the 21st 2019 The Salty Dog will no longer have the 255 Volvo Penta and will actually be getting a new(to her) Merc cruiser 350 inboard and should soon be ready for the water.

I look forward to being able to start writing about our adventures to come. I have high Hope’s for our 2nd inaugural voyage this time with my wife on board at the end of July, we are planning a 4 day excursion along the St Lawrence, so fingers crossed the Old Salty Dog will be ready to go by then.

Neon green lights installed
Mechanic making custom bracket for alternator then putting out a fire he created lol.
New flag pole installed after the Inaugural voyage disaster took the old one out.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s